Sample details MUST be uploaded via our online sample submission portal BEFORE sending them to the Centre. This process will generate a unique LIMS ID for each sample. Tubes and plates must be labelled with this LIMS ID. Failure to do so will lead to a delay in processing your samples.
To submit samples please follow these six steps:
1. Sample Submission Criteria:
Please ensure that your samples meet the criteria below. Samples that do not meet these criteria will not be processed. For further information on the quality control procedures we use please visit our Sample Quality Control page.
General Submission Guidelines
- Samples and assays must be submitted in 96-well PCR plates NOT tubes.
- Samples and assays must fill the 96 well plates by columns NOT rows.
- Plates must be clearly labelled with the LIMS ID, refer to point 4 below.
- ENSURE THAT PLATES ARE WELL SEALED, we take no responsibility for poorly sealed plates.
- Freeze plates before packing and shipping, this prevents loss of material and ensures that the plate seal remains adherent at low temperatures.
Genomic DNA Samples
- Must be intact and not degraded, as assessed by agarose gel, Bioanalyzer, TapeStation or LabChip GX.
- Should be clean, 260:280 and 260:230 ratios >1.8. For further clarification please contact the Centre.
- Samples must be resuspended in nuclease and PCR inhibitor free water or TE.
- At a concentration of 50 ng/ul (measured using Piocgreen or Qubit, not NanoDrop).
- Leave wells H1 and H12 blank for no template controls.
- Before cDNA synthesis please ensure that RNA samples are intact and not degraded.
- cDNA concentrations must be emperically tested by qPCR prior to submission.
- Use of cDNA samples with insufficient concentration and PCR inhibitors can give rise to high Ct values.
- cDNA should be diluted. A minimum 1:3 dilution is required after the RT reaction.
- Specific target amplification (STA) will be performed on all cDNA samples unless the customer requests otherwise.
- Leave well H12 blank for a no template control.
- A standard can be provided in a separate tube. We can prepare a fresh standard dilution series (1, 1/5, 1/125, 1/625) before the experiment. This will prevent degradation of cDNA at low concentrations.
2. Application Specific Sample Criteria:
Please consult the tables below for assay/primer requirements.
Flip device horizontal to see full table
|APPLICATION||SAMPLE REQUIRED||SAMPLE CONCENTRATION||MINIMUM AMOUNT REQUIRED||ASSAYS (PRIMERS)*|
|qPCR - Gene Expression||cDNA||Minimum 1:3 dilution.||5ul/sample inlet||- 100uM Deltagene (Fluidigm)
- 20X TaqMan Gene Expression Assays
|SNP genotyping||DNA||60ng/ul||5ul/sample inlet||100uM TaqMan® SNP Genotyping Assays
SNPtype Assays (Fluidigm)
|Access Array||DNA||50ng/ul||>4ul/sample inlet||- 50uM CS1 - Tagged forward primer
- 50uM CS2 - Tagged reverse primer
|C1||Round cells in native media||166-250 k/ml**||1ml||Primer pool|
* IMPORTANT: Customers must validate their assays (primers) before submission. As the Fluidigm BioMark HD is different to other qPCR systems it is recommended that a trial run is performed prior to scaling up. The Centre will not guarantee results if assays are not validated on the Fluidigm system. Please contact us for validation protocols and assistance with experimental design.
** This is the starting concentration recommend by Fluidigm. The starting concentration may need to be optimised for specific cell types.
3. Email the sample/assay spreadsheet:
A spreadsheet listing the layout of samples and assays in the 96 well plates is required. Please email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Please email a copy of your purchase order to the Centre. Purchase orders are generated by the purchasing department of your institution and authorise the transaction.
– If you intend to pay by credit card please email the Centre the following details: billing name, address, email and phone number.
– If you are internal to UNSW email us your project codes (Dept ID, Project ID, Fund Code).
– Failure to provide this information will lead to a delay in processing your samples.
5. Online sample submission:
Before sending your samples please electronically submit them to the Centre using our Customer Sample Submission Portal.
– New customers are required to sign up for a user ID. Applications will be reviewed and approved by the Centre before being activated. For further instructions please refer to the creating a User ID guide.
– Follow the submission instructions carefully or the Excel spreadsheet will fail to upload. Please refer to the guide to submitting samples for detailed instructions.
– The system will issue a unique ID for each sample, please label plates with this ID.
6. Ship your samples:
On completion of the above samples can be shipped to the Centre.
Courier Delivery Address
Ramaciotti Centre for Genomics
Faculty of Science
Upper Campus Store, Room LG018
E26, Bioscience South
LG018 Loading Dock,
Via Gate 11 Botany Street,
UNSW Sydney NSW 2052
Tel: (02) 9385 1241
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.00am – 4.00pm
In Person Drop off
The Ramaciotti Centre
Level 2, Biosciences South Building (E26)
UNSW Sydney, NSW 2052
Tel: (02) 9385 1241
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 5.00pm
Please check that there will be someone available to accept them by calling (02) 9385 1241.